Phila.tv/9qw1h1m https://bit.ly/2iL4kfJ https://t.co/mH1K9bZjHx The Interview director James Franco is calling for “total and total shutdown of film theaters” after a cyberattack that he says is designed to kill his film.
The movie, which is based on the 2013 book and the upcoming comedy, The Interview, will be shown in theaters across the U.S. on Tuesday.
The film was produced by the production company Twentieth Century Fox.
The studio issued a statement Wednesday saying the film’s distributors and exhibitors have “been notified of the possible impact of this cyberattack.”
“The films release date and its distribution are still up in the air, and there is no indication that the film has been compromised,” Fox said in a statement.
“This is an unprecedented incident in which hackers have breached a major movie production company.
This will not be tolerated and we have launched an investigation to determine how the breach occurred.”
The attack on Fox’s distribution platform is the latest in a string of disruptions that have hit film production companies in recent weeks.
In October, Sony Pictures Entertainment announced that its films will be unavailable for the foreseeable future.
On Thursday, Sony announced that it was suspending the release of The Interview as a result of the cyberattack.
The attack is believed to be related to a leak of confidential documents that were posted on the web last month.
Sony did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
Earlier this month, the New York Times published a story about the leaked document dump that led to Sony’s cancellation of The Last Jedi, a film based on popular manga series.
The leaked document showed that the production studio was working on a script that would include the fictional assassination of President Donald Trump.
The plot was later removed from the script, according to the Times.